GSC Conference Award
Due to new financial challenges faced by graduate students in light of the COVID-19 global pandemic, GSC created a new award in the 2020-2021 academic year, the Conference Award to help graduate students pay for attending professional conferences. The award previously granted $75 to cover the registration charges for students who are only attending a conference and need not present original work at the conference. We propose a maximum award of $200 to allow students to have the opportunity for financial support for attending/presenting/chairing a session or leading a discussion in a virtual or in-state conference. The Conference Award, like the travel award, is divided among four quarters.
GSC divides the academic year into four quarters. The total number of Conference awards for the academic year(316 awards) is divided equally among the four quarters (79 for each quarter). For each quarter, the awards are granted on a first come first serve basis. The quarters are:
Quarter – 1: May 01st – July 31st
Quarter – 2: August 01st – October 31st
Quarter – 3: November 01st – January 31st
Quarter – 4: February 01st – April 30th
If awards are not utilized completely for a quarter then these awards are carried forward to the next quarter.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in a graduate degree program at UIC. i.e. Students should be enrolled for the term for which the student is applying for a Travel Award.
- The applicant’s department must have a currently active GSC departmental representative. An active GSC departmental representative is one who attends all of the regularly scheduled GSC departmental representative meetings in a given fiscal year.
- Applicants may only receive one Conference Award per year.
- Determine the quarter in which you will be attending the conference. Applications must be submitted within the quarter during which the last day of the conference occurs.
- Collect the proof of attending the conference, (this could be an email from the conference hosts), if attending without presenting or abstract and proof of acceptance if presenting/chairing a session/leading a discussion at an in-state or virtual conference.
- Fill in the online application form below and submit. You will be redirected to a new tab for Step-2.
- Print the one-page PDF form in Step-2. Sign the form and have it signed by your Advisor and by your Department Head or DGS. Notice that three different signatures are required. If your Advisor is also the Department Head, you will need the signature of the DGS on your form. Applications can be signed electronically.
- Scan the whole documentation (application form, and proof of attendance (if only attending), and/or abstract and proof of attendance (if presenting/chairing a session/leading a discussion) and email as an attachment to email@example.com with the subject “Application for Conference Award”. GSC does not accept faxed applications.
- Once the application has been reviewed and approved, an email will be sent from firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm the status of your application with instructions for processing a GSC Travel Award.
The documentation should be sent as soon as possible within the quarter in which the conference falls. Applicants need not wait till the conference ends to apply for the award. Applications can be submitted as soon as the documentation is available. As there are limited awards, awards are granted first-come, first-served by completed emailed application. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Eligible applicants who are not granted funding during the quarter in which their event occurs will still be notified and are encouraged to retain their receipts since additional award monies may become available at the end of the academic year. Additional awards are contingent upon unspent GSC monies and will be dispersed based on the order of application submission date for each quarter via a lottery system.
Sometimes, emails sent from our GSC Award System get caught in the spam folder of Gmail/Webmail users. This includes notification of acceptance emails. If you use Gmail/Webmail, make sure to check your spam folder regularly. Add email@example.com to your address book, so your notification will be delivered to your inbox.